All About Makhana- The Super Food!
Makhana is the most common dry fruit. It is a high-value aquatic cash crop. Grown in the wetlands of Asian countries, they are also known as Phool makhana and lotus seeds. It is a great snack with multiple benefits.
Here are 7 Reasons why you must consume makhana:
- Makhana or Fox nuts have high protein content. This is why they make such an important part of fasting food because a handful can provide you with energy to last the entire day. It is also a good source of fiber, along with micronutrients like calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus.
- Makhanas are low in calories, fat, and also sodium. They are therefore the perfect in-between-meal snack. They also make your tummy feel full, as a result, cravings for binge eating are very less.
- Makhana is very high in magnesium and potassium. High potassium and low sodium are a great combination for patients suffering from hypertension, as Potassium brings down the blood pressure on the other hand sodium tries to bring it up.
- Makhanas are high in antioxidants like gallic acid, chlorogenic acid, and epicatechin. Antioxidants play an important role in various aspects of health and can help protect against chronic diseases related to heart, cancer, and Type 2 diabetes. A handful every day can keep you looking younger and makes your skin super glow.
- Fox nuts are great snack food for diabetics and heart patients as they contain good fat and have a low quantity of saturated fats. This helps control hunger pangs and the intake of high-calorie foods. It is highly recommended for people looking for weight loss.
- Fox nuts are great detoxifying agents. Our liver detoxifies our body by eliminating all the waste. Makhana helps the liver to function properly and enhances metabolism.
- Makhana maintains hormonal balance in our bodies. Touted as an aphrodisiac, they help with premature ejaculation, improve the quality of semen and help women suffering from infertility.
- Makhana is rich in calcium. It improves cartilage health and makes your bones stronger. It lubricates your bones and joints and reduces chances of any bone damage. Having makhana with milk improves your bone health and density.
Here are some easy and quick recipes of makhana:
- Add 3 cups of makhana to a pan with little ghee, roast for 10 to 15 minutes, and stir continuously. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, chaat masala, and black salt. Mix it well. Let it cool and taste it. You can keep it in an air-tight container.
- Roast makhana in a pan with some ghee for 10 minutes. Heat jaggery or sugar in a separate pan with a little bit of water, let it thicken slightly, pour the roasted makhana in this jaggery syrup, and mix it properly. Cool it down and enjoy.
Healthy makhana chat:
- Dry roast makhana in a pan with ghee or some oil. Add some spices like turmeric powder, chili powder, chaat masala, roasted jeera powder, and some salt. Mix properly now add some chopped onions, some chopped tomatoes, green chutney, tamarind chutney, and lime juice. Lastly, garnish it with some coriander leaves and pomegranate.
In spite of its numerous unique properties consumers still have a lack information about this superfood. Makhanas is a complete snack. They are full of essential nutrients and provide great health benefits. It is also versatile and easy to enjoy in many different recipes, including snacks and desserts. Do not substitute makhanas with your main meals in order to lose weight quickly. Losing or gaining weight depends on your overall lifestyle. Eat fox nuts in moderation. Exercise regularly and be active. It is economical and has few hazards on your health, grabs a bowl of fox nuts. If you wish to discuss any specific problem you may consult a doctor.